An Introduction.

I’m Rebecca, a 48yr old from Auckland, New Zealand.  I am a mum to two amazing young adults, wife to a car enthusiast and I’m owned by 3 Birman cats.

I envision this blog as being part instructional (in what not to do), part brag book, and part dear agony aunt.  While I profess myself to be a miniaturist, I freely admit that I am still relatively new to this addictive hobby.  There is so much to learn and so many directions creating miniatures can take you in.  I think that’s why I love it so much – I’m a Gemini and tend to get bored quite quickly.  I have yet to be bored working on minis!

As a miniaturist, I don’t have a particular style I prefer nor do I like one style of kit more than another.  In fact, several of my builds haven’t started out as a kit at all.  I choose a project because it stirs my imagination and I’ve found that I’m far more likely to complete a build if I am excited by it.

My family is extremely supportive.  My son will be studying game development at Uni, my daughter studying fashion and design.  My husband has his own business but spends much of his time working on one of the old cars around the place.  To be fair they are pretty darn cool cars…..

The cats –  Diablo (Dabba for short) is 13 and a Seal Pt., Benni is a Seal Tabby and I think age 6, and Archie is the baby.  Archie is a Red Pt and is 2.  Birmans aren’t fully grown until they’re 3 so Archie still has time to catch up to Benni who really is in his prime.  One of them will often join me in my cottage – although I have an ongoing battle with Archie who really wants to be ‘in the thick of things’ on my work table!

I have a small cottage in the back yard that I call my Craft Cottage or Studio.  I love the feeling I get when I open the door and breathe in the familiar smells.  It lifts my heart every single time.  I keep the door open onto our back deck area while I’m working unless it’s raining, very hot or very cold.  Fortunately here in Auckland, the temperature is pretty mild year-round.  We can get very hot and humid in summer – although this summer has been mild and windy.  In winter we may get up to 5 frosts in the season if it’s a cold one.  Behind my cottage are mature trees and a babbling stream.  Not our property, but lovely to look out onto regardless.

My daughter and I found some lovely little room-box kits on Aliexpress back in 2014.  That is what hooked me into Miniatures.  We home-educated for most of their school years so had the opportunity to pursue interests – mostly creative.  My son has programmed from around age 12 and is planning on getting into Game design – that’s his creative outlet.  He also LOVES really complicated and expensive board games.  My daughter Cosplays, LARPS, and almost completed an Electrical Engineering apprenticeship before stopping and moving into fashion design this year.  It really is much more her scene and she’s loving it!

Anyway, that’s enough about me and mine.  I do intend to upload at least once a week – maybe even twice a week, however as blogging is new to me, please don’t hold your breath!  

Cheers!

Rebecca xx




Comments

  1. Hey Rebecca,
    Great seeing you in blogworld. I will look forward to seeing your amazing creations here. Boy am I envious of your studio.
    Anna (@wheresmallsthinglive) XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna - you're my very first commenter! Thank you so much, and yes, I love my cottage - I just wish it were a teeny bit bigger! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts